MHS Blog

Mosman Municipal Band

Mosman Municipal Band

Band music was very popular in the early 1900s, with regular newspaper music columns advertising who was playing where. Mosman had no band of its own, but other suburban and military bands, and the St Clements Fife and Drum Band, provided music for events and processions. However in March 1903 the Mosman Mail reported that “a movement is on foot among local musicians to get up a local brass band”. Led by trombonist Mr Bibb, amateur and professional musicians formed our first band which played regularly at Trafalgar Square (Spit Junction). In 1912 Mosman Council agreed to sponsor a brass...

Read more →